Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The goods

First I have to make a disclaimer. During the first trimester, girl parts and boy parts are identical. They start to differentiate as the second trimester begins, which is right where I am this week. The particular center who did our NT scan on Monday said they no longer give guesses on the sex of the baby at this early ultrasound because they were getting complaints from parents when they were wrong. So here's your grain of salt.

When I laid down on the table and the ultrasound technician began to look around my tummy with her magic wand, one of the first things I said was, "If you see any boy parts, let us know." (Because of course identifying boys are a lot easier at these ultrasounds. And if you don't know why... well, go ask your mother.)

She smiled and shook her head. "Oh no, we aren't supposed to do that. It's too early."

Whatever, I thought. I have eyes. I'll look for myself.

She was a very nice woman despite denying my initial request, and she quickly got to work examining Twin A. This baby was going nuts in there, which made it difficult for her to do the measurements, but we got lots of awesome views.

Including the baby's legs. From underneath.

"Oh!" she exclaimed. "I'm not supposed to say anything, but look at this..."

And she pointed too...

Our boy.

Hooray! Now I don't have to worry about "bedazzling" the crap out of Bean's clothes to save money, which was my plan if they were both girls. The jeans would have transitioned decently, but monster trucks shirts with pink and purple sequins would have looked a bit off. Or not, what do I know about fashion these days?

Anyway, I love being a boy's mama, and I was praying there'd be at least one wee wee in there. About the second baby, I was ambivalent. The Y chromosome runs strong in DH's family -- his grandma had five sons, and his parents had three boys before having one girl. I have never imagined myself having a daughter, going way back to when we were first married and still several years away from TTC. And perhaps because I was humbled by infertility and just grateful to be a mother at all, honestly I would be completely happy either way. Life is good, my family is full, and I am grateful beyond belief.

So on to Twin B. This baby was active, too, but not quite as much as the first one. Also showing no modesty whatsoever, we got another money shot from underneath the baby's feet.

NOW THAT IS A BOY.

My three sons.

The thought of them all playing together, growing into men together... it brings tears to my eyes.

DH admitted he was a little bit sad not to have a daughter, but then he high-fived me and celebrated, "No weddings to pay for!" And the way I see it, as the head male in the family, the boys will mainly be DH's responsibility to raise once they hit first grade. So my plate is looking a lot less full come 2016.

My Mom is still holding onto the hope that there is some doubt with Twin A and she may get the granddaughter she's always wanted. She's been lobbying for that outcome. Well, there's nothing I can do about it at this point. In fact, there really was nothing I could ever do about it. To my brother: It's all up to you now.

No pressure or anything.

*ahem*


Photobucket

26 comments:

Kate said...

YAY!!! Congratulations! Sunny and all of her boys. :) They will have so much fun playing together. And Bean's hand-me-downs will be great!

Kate said...

YAY congratulations :) So they have no doubts on this then??

Poor brother, haha the pressure :)

Red said...

Wow! Three boys, Bean will have a great time with his two brothers. Congratulations.

Kristina P. said...

This is so exciting! I've always wanted boys. I think I could live without a girl.

Nicky said...

Congratulations!!! That's a whole lot of boys.

My brother's father-in-law desperately wanted a granddaughter, and after instead getting 3 grandsons, he started offering a bounty to the first of his children who produced a girl. Yes, there was actual money involved. And yes, the prize has since been claimed. Ask your mom what it's worth to her. :)

Stephanie Faris said...

Awww! Three boys. Your life will be filled with activity! It's great that they'll have each other to play with too.

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Yay for The Boy House!!

My sister (http://wildwomenuniverse.com) has the same configuration. A singleton boy and then twin boys. 17 mos apart.

Too bad for your mom!

Aunt Becky said...

Sausage PARTY! Hooray!!

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Ha, ha, I thought I saw a penis on the U/S picture, That's wonderful. I always saw myself as the mother of sons too and count my blessings that I don't have to deal w/anybody's PMS or bra shopping!
Here's to a healthy happy pregnancy for you and your family!

Lisa said...

What fun news! Honestly. My girlfriend has 3 boys and loves it!

Jen said...

I'm so excited for you. You WILL be the mom who is adored by all of her boys! I would have loved to see a bedazzled monster truck T shirt though.

Thanks for the forewarning that they don't usually tell you gender. Jeramy will beg though, I'm sure. I'll be about 13w1d at my appointment so it would be borderline anyhow.

Lisa said...

awwwww! as we know well, boys LOVE their mommas!! and if dh really wants that girl, you could always go for another round! ;-)

I may be biased, but I think being a momma to just boys is pretty cool too ;-)

Congrats c!!

Allison said...

How wonderful! Congratulations!!! Little boys are so much fun. Seriously, I just keep getting more and more excited for you guys. You have to stop it! :)

MissMVK said...

WOW!!! Brothers for Bean! Today I looked at Piglet as I brainstormed names and with the boys' names, I said them aloud and and responded (to myself) "Yep, those sound like that could be Piglet's brothers." So sweet to think of them paling around shooting hoops and eating you out of house and home! As for me? I voted pink on my poll, but who knows. What i do know is that they're both the same whatever they are!

Michelle said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Your 3 boys. How AWESOME is that! Although you will be way out numbered now. LOL

Heather said...

Yay! Congratulations! (I mean, I knew already, but still.)

But...

No, no, no, no, no! That is WAY too much pressure on me and your brother! Besides, MY brother and sister-in-law have given MY parents two girls.

This is too much pressure.

You know what else? Talk your brother into proposing first. Then maybe we can talk about babies.

AJ said...

Boys are the Best!

Beautiful Mess said...

HA! That's great! Three boys..wow! How exciting. Congratulations to you all! Bean is going to be SO excited. Fart and bathroom jokes are going to run rampant in your house! They do in mine and Zilla is only 6. So much fun!!!
*HUGS*

Coffeegrljapan said...

I always loved that show! What a fabulous experience for Bean to have little brothers :) Once again...I'm so excited for you all.

Kristi said...

I am thrilled for you! That is wonderful, and I remember feeling the same way about my twins' genders: I wanted at least one girl (to re-use clothes and so Isabella could experience the sisterhood bond) and I was ambivalent about the other twin's gender.

Let's hear it for the boys!

Alana said...

A house full of gents. How wonderful. Congrats to you and DH! :) (Bean too!)

Unknown said...

Congrats on your new sons....

xx

Eve said...

Oh I'm so excited for you!!! I completely LOLed at your bedazzling comment, and then thought, well THAT could work (seeing as I have a son myself). I keep getting comments from my friends/fam saying, 'Well I hope at least ONE is a girl.' But I couldn't care less! If these twins are boys...we're SET with clothes. I just feel so lucky to be having this chance at more kids...I'm excited any way about it!

Liv said...

You did tell me that you would have been thrilled if your twins were both boys...Look at that! That is just awesome.

Sorry, I hadn't made my way over to your "new" site yet. I'm slowly getting back to my blogging roots!

Congrats! Congrats! Congrats!

..al said...

Hey Sunny, Forgive me for chiming in late...but the ogres had kidnapped me!

Yay! Momma of three boys! Yes!


Congratulations!

JW Moxie said...

Congratulations on the blue times two! You'll have all the manly protection that you'll ever need!