Wednesday, December 16, 2009

And suddenly, this stops being fun

I had an OB appointment this morning.

It did not go well.

Well, I suppose there were a few good things. I gained 5 lbs since my last appointment two weeks ago. The boys are as active as ever, strong heartbeats, good fluid, etc.

But my cervix was down to 2.8 cm (from 3.2 cm two weeks ago). Not only is it on the short side -- they like to see it 3.0 cm or above -- but it's a significant change since the last appointment. Coupled with the frequent Braxton Hicks contractions I've been having lately... well, this is not the road we want to be on at only 22 weeks.

My doctor was not freaking out about this, but she was obviously concerned. She gave me a prescription for some medicine to help stave off the contractions, and she scheduled me with MFM on Friday for another cervical check. She said 2.8 cm will be acceptable for now if we can keep it stable, she just wants to make sure it's not a continual downslide. She also instructed me to limit activity and rest as much as possible. The words "bedrest" and "hospitalization" were actually uttered... although not imminent this point.

I felt the tears welling up as I spoke with my OB. Somehow I managed to keep it together through the appointment and three phone calls before sobbing the rest of the drive home. The vague concern I've felt over preterm labor and GOD FORBID losing the babies has suddenly gotten very specific and all too real.

The contractions do subside and I feel better when I am laying down. But being the sole caretaker of a 21-month-old boy for 13 hours a day (minus one blessed nap) makes that nearly impossible. DH and I are going to do our best to make some lifestyle changes so I don't have to go up and down the stairs as much, and so that he can come home around dinner time (instead of after Bean is asleep for the night) to do the bedtime routine. I'll see how things go on Friday, and I may have to send a pleading email to my friends to come over and play with Bean so I can lay down for a couple of hours a day.

Please keep us in your thoughts, k?

And now, to cheer myself up, I'll end with some pictures of His Cuteness.

Beware: When a toddler is eating yogurt and suddenly gets very quiet, he is probably having too much fun.

We are converting our formal dining room into a playroom. With part of the proceeds from the sale of our dining room table, we purchased the *perfect* kiddie table and chair set from Costco. It's durable with four chairs, in boy-friendly colors. Bean approves.


Bean got to open his gifts from Grandma M. and Grandpa J. last weekend, because of our plans to be away for Christmas. He just loves his new easel!


We also let him open the toy vacuum (or as Bean calls it: "backveem") from me and DH.

He picked up my old Cabbage Patch Kid doll and carried it while vacuuming, just as I did with him. My heart nearly exploded!

When he was done, he put the vacuum in the pantry, next to the real one.

*sigh* Could I love him more?


Photobucket

32 comments:

Kristina P. said...

Oh, I hope that you don't have to go on bedrest!

Lori Lavender Luz said...

Oh, Sunny. I so wish I lived closer so I could help take care of sweet Bean.

Sending you and your cervix happy and thick thoughts.

(I've never really talked to someone's cervix before. You're a first :-) )

Alana said...

Sending hugs and extra warm wishes your way...

Jen said...

Oh no!!! Bedrest with a toddler and family so far away is not good. Let me know if you need anything, seriously! I'm like what, 10 minutes away? And I sure hope that every looks stable at the next appointment and that none of this upsets your Christmas plans.

k said...

UGH. I'm so sorry. I hate that you had to get news like that but hopefully things will stay at bay but the worry, that's the toughest part of it all. I'm thinking of you and will say a little prayer for you that everything will be okay.

Your little boy is SO cute vacuming with the doll!!!!! AWWWWW

Jamie said...

I have totally been there and I completely understand. You have to ask for help - even though it is so hard to do! In good news, even with a shortened cervix and dilated you can make it full+term. Hang in there!

Bean is sooo cute! Love th vacuum!

MrsSpock said...

I can't imagine trying to stay horizontal and having my toddler to chase. I hope your plan works out!

Lisa said...

Only good wishes for you Sunny! I am thinking of you for sure and loved the pictures of Bean. Good thought, good thoughts, good thoughts.

Nicky said...

Definitely sending you best wishes. I hope that things even out soon.

But hey, at least you have Bean to help you with the housework. Vacuuming is a good first step! Now teach him to cook and do dishes and you're home free -- just lie back on the couch and watch that almost-two-year-old maintain your house! The yogurt scrub for the table wouldn't have been MY first choice, but to each his own, right?

JW Moxie said...

I hope that you're going to post those adorable pictures to tonight's Show and Tell!

I wish that I was closer so that I could help out some! I'm keeping you in my thoughts and prayers!

Anonymous said...

Wish I was there to help! I would love to entertain Bean. Sending you lots of prayers and best wishes.

Now is the time to practice the whole imperfection thing. Let the house work go and practice your take out ordering skills. :)

I love Bean vacumming. I wish Matt's mom had bought him one of those when he was a toddler. Might have sparked an interest.

Kristin

Sarah said...

As always, you are in our thoughts. That is difficult news to hear, but I am sure that things will improve. Isn't pregnancy different every moment? So this is just a picture in time and will change again soon enough. The good news is that those little ones are as strong as ever, right?! Your doctors will take care of you in the meantime! Can you find a mommy helper - like a middle schooler who can come over for cheap to play with Bean?

Lollipop Goldstein said...

The preterm stuff is scary, but it sounds like you have good people keeping on top of it. I too wish I was on the west coast and could come over. Maybe put a shout-out in LFCA for other Seattle people?

Debz said...

Sweetie if I was close, you would not be allowed to get out of that bed. I would take care of Bean and all of you. Please take care of yourself. I will be thinking of you. Let me know if there is anything I can do.

Love ya,

Deb

Mary said...

Prayers up up up!! I know this is scary but just keep up the mantra that you WILL get through this, you have the uterus of steel! This isn't the same but I had that whole pre-e/bedrest scare at 20 weeks which landed me on temporary bedrest and fears of an early delivery and the issue held at bay until 38 weeks. I wish I was closer so I could help!! Don't be shy about asking for help, it sounds like you've developed a bit of a support system with your preschool group, maybe they can step in and help some. Or maybe an after school mother's helper could help burn some of Danny's energy as well?? And I have to say that picture of Danny vacuuming melted my heart!

Shelley said...

Oh no! That does not sound good! I hope all the precautionary measures whip your cervix back into shape. I've heard that they can grow, so I'll be thinking good, lengthening thoughts for you.

niobe said...

Thinking of you.

Coffeegrljapan said...

Oh how I wish we weren't on the road and we could come over and visit you regularly! Hang in there. Keep us posted. I'm glad to hear the bedrest isn't imminent just yet. Silver lining no?

Also, the picture of Bean vacuuming with the baby - precious!

..al said...

Bean is such a darling....Am glad that he is having fun...

I hope the next OB appointments are all 'everything-is-great' carriers....Hope you are able to secure as much rest as possible...

william manson said...

hello Sunny, the wee one is cute, and its really nice to see a man starting early with the chores lol, his own vacuum how cool is that, the pics are lovely, popped over from gerardines blog to say hello, your writings are very good.

take care

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Dear Sunny:

I feel very sorry to hear about your recent news regarding your unborn baby. Please hold on and be strong, you are bright and intelligent, you can handle anything coming your way!

Smile if you can, go to a movie with your friends while asking for help from a babysitter for your young son...I pray for you, dear!
Hugs and Cheers:)

Anonymous said...

So many good wishes, prayers, thoughts, and vibes heading your way. I wish I lived nearby and could help out in some way.

And your son is seriously adorable!

Anonymous said...

Your son is so cute!!

You are going to have a hard time lying down; I know I had bed rest, no movement! For seven months. Drove me nuts! I had to learn not to do anything.

Let things go; you can clean and pick later, after the babies are born.

Gerardine

Allison said...

Oh Christine! Keep me posted. Oh, and Bean has a very nice pencil (or crayon in this case) grip for his age! Nice work! Sorry, it's the OT in me. And I understand your concern for having to "rest" while taking care of a toddler. Yeah right. Is there a college near you? Sometimes colleges have job postings where you could post that you need some extra help or whatever. I'll check in with you soon.
Al

Michelle said...

Aww your little helper. he is so cute!

I am praying for you and that everything goes well and the contractions stop! ((HUGS))

TAKE IT EASY!! I know so easy with a toddler...right?! :)

Kristi said...

Keep your chin up (easier said than done, I know). I had low amniotic fluid for the last half of my pregnancy, and when my doctor told me I had to go on modified bedrest (which sounds like what your doctor prescribed for you) I almost laughed in her face. Um, I have a toddler at home. Who, pray tell, is going to wrangle her all day long?

Make as many adjustments as you can, and perhaps now is the time to let Bean get in some quality Noggin time.

Fingers crossed for you!

Kristi said...

PS: That photo of Bean with the baby and the vacuum-absolutely adorable. Well, all of them are, of course, but that one...if it was taken in about 30 years, it would be every girl's fantasy. ;)

Beautiful Mess said...

You're definitely in my prayers and thoughts, hon!

Love the pictures of Bean! How cute is he?!
*HUGS*

Alisa said...

Praying that all goes well and you can work it out to stay off your feet as much as possible. I wish I could offer words or advice to make it any less scary...I know it's scary, but hang in there!

Furrow said...

Oh, dear. It truly cannot be simple to find time to take it easy, no matter how cherubic Bean appears to be. I'm thinking strengthening and lenghthening thoughts for you.

Kristin said...

Found you through Dani's blog and I just wanted to say I'm praying for you and the little ones.

Rach said...

I'm sorry to read this Sunny and really hope you don't have to go on bedrest.

Sending you as many positive vibes as needed and keeping you in my thoughts!


xxxx