Monday, December 28, 2009

There's no place like home for the holidays

We made it! Me, DH, Bean, Twin A, Twin B, and my shortened cervix are all happily enjoying our Christmas visit with family and friends here in Michigan. The trip out wasn't too bad -- a long flight trying to accommodate a toddler's desire for mommy's lap when said lap no longer exists, but no delays or tantrums or anything else to make things more difficult. One passenger even remarked that Bean was the best-behaved child on the airplane. Darn right he was. Cutest, too. And probably smartest.

Barring any complications with the return flight, I am so glad we decided to come. While the physical health of the boys is always our top concern, this trip is huge for the emotional health of me and DH as well as our families here. If we skipped it, there would be a least a year that we wouldn't see the people we love and miss (traveling with infant twins and a toddler is not something we will rush to do -- without being severely medicated first, that is). And I haven't blogged about it yet, but my sweet mother-in-law was recently diagnosed with breast cancer, and it was really important for us to be here to support her as she starts her chemotherapy.

Everyone has been wonderful about allowing me to sit as much as possible, even though I feel like a lazy cow as people fetch me water and feed me grapes while fanning me with palm leaves. I haven't changed a single diaper since we landed. Bean absolutely adores his grandparents, and I'm not sure who is having more fun playing all day, him or them. Our Christmas gatherings were all super fun. We were blessed with contributions to the big gift DH and I were saving for (purchased yesterday, woo hoo!), and Bean got so many awesome toys that I have no clue how we will get them all back to Seattle. Fortunately that falls entirely on the "Dad" list of duties, so I'll just enjoy my water and grapes and palm fans and let DH worry about that.

PICTURES!

My mom took this belly shot of me at 24 weeks. We have now officially reached the point of viability -- there is a 50% chance the boys would survive if born today. This is a relief, if only a small one. I want three more months out of these muffins!



Bean on Christmas Eve with Grandma M. and Grandpa J.



Bean instructs his Great-Grandma F. on the art of playing Little People.



All for me?! It took three rounds, but Bean eventually opened all his presents.



The remote-controlled car from Grandpa B. and Grandma C. was an instant favorite.


Bath time.


Bean ensures that Grandpa B. eats his fruit on Christmas Day.


We revived and revamped a long-dormant Christmas tradition -- decorating cookies with my Grandma, Aunts, and Cousins. Bean found a prime spot on my Mom's lap and proceeded to dip his sucker into the cookie frosting to get the best of two sugary worlds.


Bean crashes on the couch with Grandpa J. after a long (but fun) day.


Our Christmas was wet rather than white, but Mother Nature made up for it today with some beautiful flakes. We were finally able to break out Bean's winter wear. He wasn't so sure about being bundled up at first, but he did have fun (until he fell face-down into the snow and wanted his mommy).


Photobucket

20 comments:

Lisa said...

I love the belly photo Sunny! So glad to hear you are having a wonderful and safe journey.

Kristina P. said...

I am so glad you made it and are having a great time!!

Beautiful Mess said...

Great photos! I'm so glad you were able to be with your family for Christmas. Enjoy your time being waited upon!
*HUGS*

Jen said...

I'm sure Danny was wonderful on the plane even if your lap left a little to be desired space-wise. With Jillian, my main problem is that she wants to be anywhere but my lap (preferably running up and down the aisle).

Love all the pictures of the festivities. It looks like you all (and especially Danny) are having a wonderful time. If I could find a long distance relative who would change diapers that would certainly be worth flying cross country for!

MissMVK said...

I'm so happy to hear from you! I have been thinking about you so much and hoping all went smoothly on your trip. Now knowing all I do abut your trip, I am really happy you were able to go. It's an important trip for sure. And can I just say - LOVE all the pics! Bean is adorable to say the least. Edible is more like it. Oh and your belly looks just like my belly...24weeks today, baby!

I still can't believe I found my pg twin who's also having twins. And we both have boys nearly the same age. What. :)

Merry Christmas!

MrsSpock said...

Glad the Cervix of Steel is hanging in there.

It took us about three rounds with J to get all the presents done as well.

Hopefully all those relatives will arrive en masse after the boys are born to feed you with grapes and fan you with palm fronds post-birth...

Alana said...

Yay! Glad you're flights went well, the weather has been decent, and you're having lots of R&R time with your families.

Pic of you and the twins looks good! :)

IF Optimist, then... said...

So glad you made it to see your family. Looks like a wonderful time. Big congrats on making it to 24 weeks, keep it going mamma! The belly is to die for! You are fabulous.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Hello:

I love the Bath time pictures the best, cute, playful, and tickling or giggling...it reminds me of my two boys when they were young,
They are 16 and 12 now...

Glad that you have made the round trips safe and sound. I used to ride public bus when I was 5 months pregnant with my first boy, people were scared of my nerve, but i was doing fine, i walk a lot and have very natural birth...

It seems like you have a beautiful family, it is such a lovely thing for you to travel to see parents,
and share with them your precious kids and more...

I wish you a sweet night, smile while dreaming about flowers, love, and friendships.

Lisa said...

First off, so sorry to hear about your MIL...I will definitely keep her in my prayers! Glad you could be there with her, I am sure it meant a lot to both her and yall! Second, I am just so glad you got to go, yippee!! Being with family, especially during the holidays is a good feeling. Love the belly pic and of course bean is adorable as always! So happy you had a merry christmas! heres to 2010!

Eve said...

I'm so glad you got to go on your trip and are having a great time!!!! Your belly looks suspicously like mine (though I'm a few weeks behind you). Hoping your return trip is VERY safe and uneventful.

Yes, these babies still need some cooking! I'm wishing us both calm 'utes' and loooong 'cervs', lol!!!!

Shelley said...

Your trip sounds like it was just what the doctor ordered! I'm so glad you got to spend this time with your families!

Fingers crossed that Bean is an angel on the return trip as well!

Kristi said...

So glad you had a great trip and a wonderful Christmas. The photos are awesome, and you look great. Here's to three more months!

Red said...

Merry Christmas. What a great family you have. Enjoy the servants/water/grapes (are the grapes being peeled for you? Better add that to their list of duties!).

Martha@A Sense of Humor is Essential said...

Thank you so much for sharing these delightful photos and I am so glad all three of your children are doing so well. Best Wishes for a Wonderful New Year and enjoy the rest of your visit.

Anonymous said...

I am glad you are having a great time. I hope your Mother-in-law will be alright.
Rest , have fun and enjoy the family. The Pictures are sweet. and so is your belly:-)
Gerardine

AFD said...

Great pictures! I'm so glad you were able to travel. Love the belly pic, of course. Can't wait to chat more soon. Happy New Year!

Nicky said...

Yay! Nothing like the Midwest in December. Love the snow pics.

Linda Bob Grifins Korbetis Hall said...

Happy New Year to you,
Dear Sunny!
Stay happy,
stay strong,
Be worry free,
and carry joy all along!

niobe said...

Looks like a wonderful Christmas!