Friday, June 6, 2008

It's almost summer somewhere...

...but not in Seattle! As you can see from the little weather icon thingie in my sidebar, it is most decidedly NOT sunny in Seattle. In fact, at the moment, it's 48 degrees and raining. In the middle of June. Unacceptable. Adding insult to injury is the fact that most of Bean's 3-6 month clothes are super cute shorts and t-shirts. It would just break my heart if he couldn't wear the little outfit I just bought him, which features an ape on the front with the word "Hunk."

Rain clouds aside, it's time to clear out a little business. More than two months ago (!), Mary tagged me back after I tagged her. When Queenie tagged me with one of the same memes, I figured it was time to finally participate. I won't tag anyone else -- but any of you NaComLeavMo visitors can consider yourself tagged if you are looking for some material this month.

First tag. The instructions are to write your own six word memoir. Post it on your blog, including an illustration if you like. Link to the person who tagged you in your post and to the original post if possible so that it can be tracked as it travels across the blogosphere. Tag at least five more blogs with links. Leave a comment on the tagged blogs with an invitation to play. (As an aside, click here for some background on this meme.)

Here's mine: "Helpful hands, logical mind, sensitive heart."

That was soooo hard! Now you try.


Second tag. List five kind things you do for yourself. List five kind things you do for your closest friend, partner or child. List five kind things you have done for a stranger. And tag five people!

For myself:
1. I'm big on small but frequent rewards. (This is why I own 120 colors of nail polish.)
2. I buy fancy shower gel. (I'm determined to make the most out of my 5-minute mommy shower!)
3. I go to a good hair stylist. (At least my 'do looks good once every three months.)
4. I floss my teeth every night. (No gingivitis here.)
5. I blog. (Can't get more self indulgent than this, right?)

For DH and Bean:
1. Iron DH's clothes. (This is his least favorite chore. I, on the other hand, wish I could spend more of my life making wrinkly clothes straight.)
2. Breastfeed my baby. (Despite my constant reference to it, I am not so enamored with BFing. But it's good for Bean, so I'm in.)
3. Put the good of the family above my own personal preferences when deciding where to live. (Which is why I'm in a city where it's 48 degrees and raining in June.)
4. Organize all of the papers in our filing system. (Sometimes my friends falsely give me credit for being an organized person. In truth, I only do it passably, and against my will.)
5. Resist the urge to elbow DH (oops, did I wake you?) when I'm up at 2 am feeding the Bean.

For strangers:
1. I wave people in front of me when they need to merge or turn. (And then wave thank-you when the favor is returned. Why do some people not wave?)
2. Agreed to see some clients pro bono and many at a greatly discounted rate when I was a counselor. (I was earning hours towards full licensure, but I was generous with my time, if I do say so myself.)
3. Donate to a veteran's association. (I am very touched by the sacrifices of our troops!)
4. Developed a free resume for someone I didn't know because he lost his job and desperately needed work. (I have no additional comments on this one.)
5. Even when full make-up is out of the question, I at least put on powder foundation when I leave the house. (Trust me, everyone benefits from this. Scary.)

13 comments:

Jendeis said...

Cool memes. :)

Mara said...

Your son is adorable!!

And those are really great memes. I've seen the one about your memoir in 6 words, but that just seems hard!

The other one, is great. Easier read than written, again, I think.

(NCLM)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, your sweet comment was much appreciated. :)

DC said...

Your little Bean is too sinkin' cute!

I think 48 degrees and rainy in June is cruel and unusual punishment. Yuck!

Heather said...

We're having the exact same clothing problem with our 4-month old. Lots of cute sundresses that fit but she can't wear and a bunch of outgrown winter clothes. It's like the whole of the Pacific Northwest skipped spring this year! We're joking that it will probably be 80 degrees into November to make up for it.

Kathy V said...

If you want summer, pack your bags and get to pittsburgh. It is stinky hot here!!! (By the way, I left a nice comment on my blog about that other hockey team and you never responded to it.)

Amanda said...

I really like that second meme. It sounds like a good thing to focus on (rather than how icky it is outside).
BTW, your bean is awfully cute!

(Here via NCLM)

Lost in Space said...

48 in June does not sound fun. Hope it warms up for you soon. I loved reading all about you and loved your six word memoir. Very creative. (:

Sharon LaMothe said...

I am with you on the weather here in Seattle! I just can't believe that LAST month I was in shorts and needed a fan at night and now I am in head to toe winter gear! LOL

2nd...Bean looks SOOO cute!!! They grow and change so fast at that age!

Big hugs to all of you!
Sharon in Seattle
NCLM!!

KimboSue said...

Great lists to learn a little about you. DH and I were in Seattle the past 2 Saturdays, coming and going on our Alaskan cruise. it was awesome! And you are right, the weather in Seattle sucks!

We have Angel Wings said...

Thank you for commenting on my blog. :D

I'm totally right there with you about the house. We'll explode together!

Your son is totally adorable. What a cutie - I could just eat him up.

Caba said...

Thanks for you comment! Don't be so sure you don't have a good sleeper! Mine were definitely NOT sleeping through the night at 3 months and 5 days old!! ... for us it was like 4.5 months ... hang in there!

I'm def going to be adding you to my blog roll ... anyone that likes Counting Crows and the Talisman is awesome in my book!

Katie said...

Via NaComLeavMo...
Yesterday was fabulous here in the UK, today not so much only 19 degrees C and very windy. I am however determined that it will be summer if I keep wearing all my summer clothes!