Monday, April 20, 2009

Spring cleaning

First, a big THANK YOU to everyone who gave me potluck recipe suggestions on the blog and via email. I am armed with some great ideas for upcoming gatherings. Now if only I could get you to come over and make them for me!

Today we are enjoying the most beautiful spring weather ever in the world. If you could lean over to whisper to God and ask for a perfect day, with sunny warm air, clear blue sky, lush green everywhere, and towering mountains to watch over it all -- this is the day he would give you. And yet, here I am blogging while half-watching Seven Pounds, which is very 1. depressing and 2. extremely depressing and 3. slow and 4. outrageously depressing. Or maybe it's just too incongruous with the day that I can't get into it. Either way, Bean is napping, and I'm choosing my computer and television over sitting outside in the sun and reading this:

Clearly my priorities are messed up. But I did have the sense to paint my toenails earlier today -- for the first time in, oh, about 13,000 years -- so I'm still able to think clearly on some level.

We've been low-key around here lately. DH was away on business all last week, and he left again this morning. But the good news is that we won't be alone long, my parents are visiting this week. Hooray! I can't wait to let them wake up early with Bean while I sleep in see them. In preparation, of course, I've gotten reacquainted with my old friends Mr. Vacuum and Ms. Dust Rag. From a phone conversation last week with my Mom:

Me: "We'll be busy cleaning the house this weekend..."
thinking: ...for the first time in seven months.

Mom: "Oh honey, you know we don't care about that."

Me: "I know you don't, but we'd like to do it anyway."
thinking: Trust me, you'll be glad I did. Evey likes to nap on the guest room pillows. And she farts in her sleep.

Wow, the movie just ended. That was sad. Wow.

Anyway, other than the pleasure of discovering that HEY! WE HAVE A NICE HOUSE UNDER ALL THIS DIRT! this weekend, we also firmed up plans for a dog sitter for our Evey girl when we head back to Michigan for 10 days in June. One of the preschool moms offered to watch her, pending a visit on Sunday to make sure she was a good fit with their own family. DH was certain that Evey's hyperactive mischief would show itself and ruin the deal, but we fooled them it didn't. I'm so thrilled not to have to put her in a kennel that whole time, or get a second mortgage on the house to pay for something nicer. And while I took the pooch to visit the family, DH took the Bean to DSW to get some dress shoes and then to the mall to get me some bareMinerals foundation. The thought of them tooling around the mall together shopping for makeup was so cute I could hardly stand it. I wish I could have been there. But then they wouldn't have been alone, and it wouldn't have been so cute. So I'll just keep imagining.

Clearly I have nothing interesting to blog about today, so I'll stop. I also don't have any cute pictures, because Bean has recently come down with another cold, and snot-nosed toddlers are decidedly uncute. Even one like Bean who is usually outstandingly adorable. But my parents will be here soon, and hopefully they'll take some fun shots to share. Because I'll be upstairs sleeping.

8 comments:

Debz said...

Since your done there, can you come here and clean? I'd rather take a beating than clean.

I hope you take full advantage of whatever help the extra hands give you. Whether it be sleep or repaiting your toenails.
And never post again without a picture of Bean. Unacceptable.

Kristina P. said...

I guess I will never see Seven Pounds. Why would I want a movie to depress me?

Michelle said...

Thanks for the tip I won't be watching 7 pounds anytime soon. It has been raining here for the last few days but Saturday we had one of those absolutely perfect days. 75 and we were downtown on the river. It was great!

Coffeegrljapan said...

Sounds like a great day! Beautiful weather, a movie, painted toenails. Truly what more could one ask for? Oh and a clean house to boot! I'm impressed. Also, I know who to ask the next time I need a good potluck recipe ;)

Jen said...

It sounds like you have some much due relaxation headed your way!

Red said...

Aren't family awesome! Grandma's really don't mind 6 a.m. wake up calls (for the week or so that they are with you!).

Enjoy the R&R.

housekeeper said...

In my opinion, cleaning the house shouldn't be an activity that occupies too much time of your life. If you can afford a housekeeper, I think it would be a good investment, for you, and your family, because you will have more time to spend with each other.

Aunt Becky said...

Yeah, my house needs some cleaning too! Come on by! Illinois is practically in your backyard, right?