Here we are, still pregnant, and only three days from 37 weeks. According to most sources, like the March of Dimes and the World Health Organization, that would be considered full term.
From FULL TERM.
I am giddy with excitement. If by some miracle I make it to Sunday, it will be a photo finish. I am definitely having contractions, and I'm starting to feel them more than I was in the past. Still not anywhere near close enough together to head to the hospital... but I can't imagine my cervix is unaffected by all the activity. My water could break at any second, calling halt to our anxious waiting.
When I lay down, the contractions are less frequent. I'm feeling greedy and want to go for the big 3-7, so I am still on a sort of self-imposed modified bedrest. I went to preschool yesterday with my Mom and Bean, and I'm very glad I did. It was great to get out and see my friends, and Bean absolutely shocked me with his level of independence and confidence in the classroom. But other than that and my OB appointment, I've stayed home this week, and even spent many hours a day laying on the couch. I know the label "full term" means nothing to my little guys -- it's not like everything would be 100% guaranteed perfect if I delivered on Sunday -- but it's certainly among the most emotional milestones I could reach in this pregnancy.
I may not reach it, but I'm going for the gold on this one.
Several people asked about the timing of my planned C-section. At our hospital, they won't schedule a C-section prior to 38 weeks unless you do an amniocentesis first to determine lung functioning. Call me crazy, but I didn't rush to sign up for that, and neither the doctor nor I see a need to deliver earlier than that anyway. As it is, my C-section is scheduled for 38.5 weeks on April 7. (See the floating fetuses on the right for a countdown to that date.) If I go into labor earlier than that -- which we are all betting on -- they will just go ahead and do the C-section immediately without the amnio. I have no idea what would happen if I arrived at the hospital completely dilated and ready to push. Twin A is head down (vertex) at this point, so we could potentially try a last-minute VBAC. Twin B is sideways (transverse) but could likely turn during delivery of Twin A. I imagine it depends on which doctor is on call at that time, how the babies and I are doing, how I feel about it in the moment, etc.
Three more days... wish me luck.